Cairo Sunrise

Cairo Sunrise

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Is Egypt safe?

Hi friends.

Egypt is in turmoil. I would like to give you the best information I have, as well as reassure you that I know that there is a lot going on in Egypt right now. I have been following the news, and I am aware of the fact that this could escalate drastically.

This link gives you a really basic and brief rundown of what is happening in Egypt. It's just someone's blog, but it's pretty accurate and makes the whole thing easy to understand.  Please read it so you know what is going on in my heart's home . . .

What's going on in Egypt??


So, what does this mean for me?

Well, it means that I watch the news. I continue fundraising because I don't think it means that it's time to change my plans to go there. I keep in touch with my Egyptian friends, future coworkers, and the handful of fellow Western friends in Egypt on the safety of the area. Protests, while they can get out of control, usually happen in a particular time and place. In this case, the time and place of the protest was planned weeks in advance. So, I just don't go to those places at those times.

If the turmoil continues to escalate, if foreigners start to be regularly targeted, if the whole country turns violent, if there is a better chance than not that I will be a victim of violence, then I will reconsider and be wise in my decision making.

But if it is a time of unrest for the country until the needs of the people start to be met, then I will still go. I am under no illusion that Egypt is an easy place to live. Never have been. I am under no illusion that it is easy work to be overseas. If I am going overseas to live among people who work hard to get out of poverty, why wouldn't I want to go during a time when they themselves are willing to stand up for the needs of their people? The organization I will be with helps give people tools to get out of poverty themselves. These people in the streets want the same thing, and they want help from the government. They are tired of being poor and not being heard by their government. Who doesn't understand that one?

A month before MLK Jr was assassinated,  he was quoted as saying that "a riot is the language of the unheard."  (http://www.postbourgie.com/2010/01/18/remembering-martin-luther-king/).  Egypt's unheard voices are saying that they have needs that are being unmet.

This will be a telling time for Egypt. It can be a time of reform or it can be a time where the government cracks down and becomes even more restrictive of the freedoms of its people. I wouldn't mind being there for either. :)

Please think of Egypt and send up good thoughts for the country and the people and the government.

I believe in Egypt, and I believe that their people can pull together. People told me that it is a depressed country, and while I believe this because of its circumstances, I experienced a people with hope, fire in their bellies, a neverending sense of humor, concern about the welfare of their country, and a love of being Egyptian that far outweighs the struggles they face. When I reach full support and am able to go to work alongside Egyptians who are already diligently bettering the lives of their people, it will be an honor to be there.

Insha'allah, I won't get there before the fun is all over. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment