Cairo Sunrise

Cairo Sunrise

Friday, January 14, 2011

On Avatar and Humanness and Fallenness and Restoration

I'm doing it again. . . I'm posting something I wrote a year ago.  It's just that life has me in a very similar place as a year ago, and these musings that I put down on paper are keeping me encouraged and sustaining me, and I'd love to share them with you.  This one was after watching the movie Avatar.  Yes, yes, I loved the movie.  But it was what it inspired in me that gave me new eyes for this world. . .


i learned more about what it means to be human by watching avatar today.  there was SUCH an intense amount of feelings, connectivity, vibrancy of colors, meaning behind everything the people did, recognizing and honoring the life in the "other," recognizing that another people has as much value as one's own people, and ascribed to values that our own nation has lost, that sometimes it's more important to forgo one's national identity in order to side with those who honor the life within each other.  i was jealous of a world with such an interconnectedness, i was envious of the intensity of reality in the world that was created... 


and i thought to myself, why can't being human be this beautiful and emotional and meaningful?  why does being human mean that life and beauty are constantly being bulldozed over by war-hungry animals who only see something in terms of its monetary value?  


and then i realized, we DO live on that earth.  i just spent many hours of my life watching Planet Earth and realizing that our world is as vibrant in places, and that we have our own wealth of alien-like creatures living in our shared spaces, and that our concrete has overrun the beauty that we share space with.  We ARE the demolished pandora, and it is my privilege to spend the rest of my life seeking out the vibrancy of life that was intended for our world.  it is my privilege to give up my position of privilege, and to side with those whose worlds are being devastated by the destruction of wars my own country chooses to take part in.  i want to spend my life sifting through ashes in order to find a bit of life that can be nurtured and restored.  we DO live on a planet that is that beautiful, full of life and beauty, in foliage and in humanity and we have not protected it.  who knows what we have destroyed in destroying our earth and our people for our own gain or our own purposes.


My wish is this, that I may have many more moments and days of finding new growth in a concrete world.  Now to find a penny and a fountain. . . 

1 comment:

  1. GOOD observations. The issue is that human means complex. There is a saying: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. That is NOT accurate or true ~ Beauty is in the heart of God, and beauty is therefore, an absolute like truth and goodness. We long for beauty like we long for eternal life. How ever we are also depraved and therefore selfish. Leaves us in the mix you noted.

    ReplyDelete